Pages

College Students: How to Afford Christmas Gifts

Monday, December 16, 2013

Hello everyone! It's that time of year again! CHRISTMAS TIME! The time where there are a bunch of pretty lights everywhere, Christmas trees, Christmas decorations, and for some people there is even snow. And the major thing that let's you know it's Christmas time is all the people shopping- shopping, shopping, and more shopping all month until it's Christmas Day. It's quite crazy out there and there are some sales, but, for College students it's quite a difficult task to get people presents.

Now as you guys know I'm currently in College, and having extra money to spend is quite a difficult thing for College students, especially ones living on campus or in an apartment. Many students are probably thinking, "Man... How can I get everyone presents? I have no money! What am I going to do?" Well, never fear! For I have some ideas for you guys based on what I did this year. In fact, I have five or so for you! So, if you want to find out what I did this year, keep on reading!

1. Save up your extra refund money. Now, I don't know if all Colleges do this, but mine did! At the beginning of the semester, they sent us this debit card (with nothing on it yet) and a paper telling us to sign up for this banking account. Now at first, I was a bit confused and kind of thought it was a scam. However, later that month I got an email from my College telling me that they have refunded me 950 DOLLARS, and in order for me to get this money I had to sign up for that banking site and choose how I wanted to receive that money-which I choose to put it on that debit card. Now, this money wasn't for you to just waste, it was to help you buy your supplies you needed for your classes. Of course you weren't going to spend all of it, but a good majority went to the supplies. With that left over money, I bought some presents for my boyfriend and even paid back my sister, finally!

2. Get a job. Now i'm sure many of you know this already. Job = Money. It is hard to find a job and get one, but it is worth trying! Especially if you are bringing in a little extra moolah to spend on yourself and others. If you live on campus or close to it, try getting a job on campus! There are a lot of job opportunities on campus. Yes, they don't pay a lot, but you're still getting money! Give it a shot!

3. Spend extra money on your food plan. Just like the first tip, i'm not sure how many Colleges do this. My College has a food plan that students who live on Campus need to have. There are four or so plans and they are all priced depending on how much you eat. I got the basic plan because I don't eat A LOT, but I also don't eat too little. It was right in between. The amount of money on my meal plan was $1,800, and it's only good for the semester (From August until December) and that money doesn't roll over to the next semester. I had a good $300 left over on my food plan and I needed to spend that money in three days since I was going home earlier than everyone else. So, I went to many of the little stores on campus and bought a lot of chocolate and a cute little gift basket- which consisted of tea, a cup, and a Kitkat, a 5 pound bar of Hershey's, two boxes of assorted chocolates, some containers of Licorice and two cute teddy bears that had chocolate.

4. Shop on Etsy, Ebay, or Amazon. Now I know these sites can have expensive things on them, but they also have a lot of cheap, but great quality items on them! Both of my boyfriend's presents I bought him, I got off of Etsy. They both are amazing quality for the price I paid for them! I love Etsy and I think it's a great site to find gifts, especially for the "geeks." Ebay and Amazon are also great for finding cheap little phone cases, "geeky" gifts, and some cute jewlery!

5. D.I.Y. For those of you who don't know what D.I.Y. stands for, it means Do It Yourself. There are a bunch of cute and creative things you can make for friends and family. I know it isn't as "great" for those of you who like to buy people presents, but trust me, they'll appreciate it. After all, it is the thought that counts!

Well, that is all I have for you guys! I hope this helped you guys out and that you enjoyed it!
I'll see you guys soon!

Ciao,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric