Pages

First Semester Of College

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

(Yay ucky dorm lighting and phone photo!)

Hello everyone! I have some time in between my classes today, so I decided to make a blog post for you guys! 
As many of you know, I am currently going to college. I'm in my second semester of my freshman year right now and let me tell you... Last semester wasn't so great for me. I struggled a lot last semester and was pretty much miserable in all of my classes. I did not like a single one (except for my college writing course.) I thought that I would love all of my classes since they were all related to my major at the time, but I soon found out that I was not as passionate about my major as all the other people were. My major last semester was Fine Arts, and I honestly thought that was what I wanted to stick with since I LOVE drawing. However, I soon found out that I wasn't that passionate about it, I didn't love it THAT much that I wanted to do it as a career for the rest of my life. 
Due to the fact that I did not like all except one of my classes, my grades dropped severely and I'm currently on Academic Probation. I've never failed a class before, heck.. I've never gotten a D before. But last semester, I failed a class, got a D in another, and the others I got a C in. The only class I got a SUPER good grade in was my college writing course, and I got a B+ in that. I also dropped two courses last semester since I honestly couldn't stand them. Because of all of this, my GPA wasn't that great, of course. I got about a 1.8, and I wasn't happy about it. At all. In High School, like I said before, I never failed a class. I got As and Bs in every class, with an occasional C depending on the class. My GPA in High School was always AT LEAST a 3.00. 
Now, you guys are probably wondering "Heather, what the hell happened?" and to answer you... I honestly have no idea. I think part of it is because I wasn't happy with any of the classes I was taking. I wasn't happy with my major. All of this just wasn't what I expected. I also think some of it is due to the fact that I lived with my parents for 18 years before I came to college and now I'm on my own. I have no one to tell me to get up and go to class, and no one to tell me to do my homework. It's all new to me, and I think I took the wrong path last semester.
However, things do seem to be looking up this semester.
A little more than halfway through last semester, I decided to change my major for this current semester. I've always loved Photography and I'm always taking pictures no matter where I go. It's something that really interests me and something I really love. WAY MORE THAN DRAWING. 
So... I decided to meet with my current advisor last semester. I asked him about the Photo-Illustration major and if it was basically a fancier way of saying "Photography" and he told me yes. He told me about all the courses I need to take, as well as all the technology I would need if I switched majors. I looked over the courses and immediately got excited. I felt how I think I should've felt when I first choose Fine Arts as a major. I felt passion, and I still do (even thought it's the first week back-I'll keep you guys updated.) I found all of the courses interesting, and I immediately thought "Yes. This is it. This is what I'm truly passionate about." 
I told my advisor to give me some time to talk to my mom about all technology requirements (since it is quite pricey) and he was perfectly fine with it. I called my right after my meeting and asked her if it'd be okay, and she was completely fine with it. She knew it's what I truly wanted to do, so she told me to go for it. So, the next day I went online and officially changed my major to Photo-Illustration. I couldn't have been happier!
So, with this new semester just starting, I'm being way more organized and serious about College. I write down every assignment right away, I take notes (yes, there are notes the first week back,) I am focussing and not waiting until the last second to do my homework. I'm getting things done right away and I don't feel stressed out at all. I feel happy with my choice of changing my major. I'm honestly so glad I did it and I love every single one of my classes so far. I'm hoping this feeling of.. Relief? Will stay with me and I'll continue staying on track this semester so I can achieve my New Year Resolution of getting straight As this semester. And so I can get off Academic Probation of course.
I am honestly so disappointed with myself for last semester but hey, you've got to learn from your mistakes. I think I've definitely learned from my mistakes and I hope this semester will be WAY better than last semester.
So, that's all I have for today guys. I hope you all have a fantastic day and if you are in College, don't do the stupid mistakes I did. Trust me, it feels terrible. 

Ciao,
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric