Pages

The Tragic Mac Incident

Friday, January 17, 2014



Hello everyone! As many of you know (If you've read my Look Back on 2013 post) I just got a Mac in the beginning of December. I love my Mac to death and I seriously can't go ANYWHERE without it. It's my baby and I'm so protective over it! However, even though I love my Mac to death, I couldn't protect it from what was about to happen about a month ago.
About a month ago is when this tragic incident occurred. I was sitting on my mom's couch with my Mac on the coffee table just watching a stream (Yes, I watch streams. Specifically the Zeldathon.) Now, I always put my Mac on the coffee table to watch this stream, which occurs twice a year for five days straight, and nothing has ever happened before. However, on this day, my older sister decided to pour herself a HUGE ASS glass of Kool-Aid and put it down on the coffee table... Right behind my mom's open laptop. My mom always leaves her computer open if she's getting off of it and will go back on shortly after. And well.. That day she had it open and didn't see the glass behind it. She went to pick up her laptop and by doing that, the screen hit my sisters glass and knocked it over. 
Did I mention she drank like... Nothing out of it so it was pretty much full? I didn't? Oh. Well. Now you know.
As soon as that glass got knocked over and all of the Kool-Aid spilled all over the table, it was like slow motion to me. I couldn't grab my laptop quickly enough to make sure nothing got in it. By the time I grabbed it to make sure as little as possible got in it, the screen wigged out and then the computer shut down. I was DEVASTATED. I sat there, crying may I add, trying to turn it back on... But it just wouldn't turn on. I was so angry and sad at the same time. Like I said earlier, this Mac is like my baby and I never thought anything like this would happen.. Especially since I've only had it for a little over a month. I freaked out on my mom and sister (Which I apologized for after the fact.) We couldn't afford a new one since my parents just got a divorce, and I didn't want a new one. I wanted this one. My baby.
So, in order to try and save my Mac, we dried off the outside as much as possible. However, every time we moved it, liquid would come out of the machine. This is when we decided to do something that we probably shouldn't have done since we didn't know if Apple would fix it if we did. We took off the back of the computer and there was Kool-Aid everywhere. My mom gave me some paper towels and told my to dry up as much of it as possible while she would get some rice ready. After I dried it up, we put it in rice for about an hour. (I took it out after only and hour because I read that you shouldn't put Macs in rice due to all the parts.) We left the back off of it so it could air out for probably two to three hours until I couldn't take it anymore and wanted to see if it would turn on....
And it did. I was so happy and I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure my Mac was done for. I did want to make sure it was at it's best and nothing would happen down the road though, so I took it to my Apple Store. This is the part of the incident that makes me so mad, even just thinking about it.. GRRRR. 
Like I said, I took my Mac into the Apple store and was feeling great! I thought "Hey. It turns on, it charges. It shouldn't cost that much to fix if it needs to be fixed!" Man.. Was I wrong... When I got there, the guy at the Genius Bar asked about what happened and I told him about spilling Kool-Aid into it. He took my Mac back to look on the inside, came back out and said there was a lot of sticky residue on the inside (No duh. It was Kool-Aid you dumb ass) and said that if I don't get it cleaned out, the sugar will corrode the wires and all and my computer will eventually die. I understood that and agreed one hundred percent with him, but I did NOT agree with the price he gave me and Apple's dumb ass logic. He told me that just to clean the inside, no replacing any parts were needed, it would cost me 1,200 DOLLARS.
Side note: I paid about 1,600 dollars for my Mac
Needless to say... I WAS PISSED. I told the guy (more like flipped out on him) how that was pretty much how much I paid for my Mac to begin with and that I've only had it for a month. I told him that that was a completely RIDICULOUS price to charge for something that should only cost, say... 50 bucks tops. He told me my current model is still up on their website and I could just buy that one. I DON'T WANT A NEW ONE YOU FREAKING DICK, I AM NOT RICH. He also said that since it's the most common accident that happens, it's the most expensive.
Uh... Apple. WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR LOGIC?
Okay, I get they are a business and you know.... Businesses try their best to make as much money as possible.. But seriously? You are going to overcharge for something like that? Oooooh this is making me so mad just typing this.

Anyways, after he told me the price I obviously left the store with my Mac and tried finding some place else that would fix it for me for a lot less. I posted on Facebook asking my friends where I could take it, and a family friend of mine told me to try and take it to the Tech Spot at my College. 
Now, this was about... Two to three weeks before I could go back to my dorm and I really did not want to wait that long, so I kept looking and I found nothing. This is when I decided that I would risk waiting those two to three weeks and take it to the Tech Spot. I got back to my College this week and took it straight there (I was emailing them all break) and told them to do what they needed to do to fix my baby.
They had it for two and a half days, and those days were possibly the most torturous and stressful days ever. All I could think about was my Mac. Were they going to be able to fix it? Was the damage worse than I thought? What if it dies on them? Omg. Omg. Omg.
Yeah, it sucked. Not to mention I pretty much live on my computer and I didn't have one for two and a half days. 
Good news and bad news came to me the night of the second day they had it. The manger called me to keep me updated on the progress. 
The good news was that they cleaned every single piece of my Mac and the damage wasn't all that bad. Oh, and the stickers that turn red to indicate water damage weren't red.
The bad news was that sometimes when they turned the computer on, it would beep which indicates that there is no RAM in it. Which obviously there was.
The manager told me they could ship it to Apple and that they would fix it for free it they saw no water damage. Let's just say I wasn't too happy with the idea. I asked the manager if he could do anything about it so I wouldn't be without my Mac for another three days since I need it for classes. He told me he would continue working on it throughout the night and told me they would call me the next day if he could figure it out. I was happy and nervous after we hung up and was glued to my phone until the next day.
The next day they did call me, but I was in class so I couldn't answer. I was so scared, I didn't know what to expect until I listened to the voicemail. Once I listened to it, it was like weights were lifted off of me. I could pick up my Mac that day and it was only going to cost me 50 BUCKS. 
I was so happy and I told them that I officially loved them. They are my freaking heros man!
Now i just want to go back to the guy and freaking attack him for charging me such a ridiculous price, but I won't. My baby is fixed and that's all that matters to me.
That's pretty much the end of what happened to my Mac. I'm currently typing away on it and it's perfectly fine (knock on wood.) I still have my baby and it isn't going ANYWHERE near a glass of Kool-Aid again. 
I hope you guys have a fantastic day, and keep your Macs away from Kool-Aid!

Ciao,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric